Today I’ve decided to cook Sinigang na Hipon (Prawn in Sour Soup) and I thought, why not share it with you guys. Yes, I can cook! Every time I tell my friends or coworkers that I cooked something, they wont believe. They said I don’t look like the type of girl that can cook. Well, I may be a modern type of girl but I still sure do know a lot of things that a traditional girl can do.
Sinigang is a Filipino Soup Dish that is known for it’s sour taste and the main ingredient could be Hipon (prawns), pork, beef or fish. This is a signature Filipino dish that incorporates souring agent whether Natural (tamarind, tomatoes, kamias, etc.) or in powdered form.
This is a dish that every Filipino loves to enjoy to eat in a regular day or in any occasion. I cook Sinigang (pork) almost every week because it’s my husband’s favorite food. (Rest in peace Hubby’s diet. ) I wanted to try something new today and so I cooked prawns instead. Here’s the recipe.
SINIGANG NA HIPON RECIPE
Prep Time: 10 Minutes | Cooking Time: 25 Minutes | Total Time: 35 Minutes
- 2 lbs. of Prawns (Hipon) with Head so it’s more flavorful
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 Long Green pepper
- Water Spinach (Kangkong)
- String Beans (sitaw)
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce (Patis)
- 1 pack Sinigang Mix (Tamarind Soup Mix)
- 9-10 cups of water
- Pour water in a big cooking pot and put to boil.
- Add fish sauce (patis), onions and tomatoes and cook until it becomes soft.
- Add long green pepper, string beans and then put in Sinigang Mix (Tamarind Soup Mix). Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and cook for 5-7 minutes or until it turned orange.
- Turn the heat off. Stir in spinach and cover the pot.
- Serve hot and enjoy. Best partner is.. of course, rice.
And… that’s my first food recipe post on my blog! Yay!
This dish is pretty quick and easy. If you don’t know what to cook and you only have limited time to spare, try this.
Thanks for reading.